Translate

Monday, April 8, 2019

A quiet day in Playa de Cortes and something else breaks..April 7th



Today started off quietly.  I cooked up what was left in the fridge and turned it into potato salad and a crunchy marinated vegetable salad.  All that will be left when we cross the border is shrimp, fish and cooked meals in my freezer and a bit of lettuce and one onion in the fridge.  Last year the guy at the border was crabby so I want to be ready.  They always ask if you've looked at the regulations for what can come over the border and I say yes...but I can't figure it out and they say they agree.  So what's the point...just take what I can't have.  I spent all day catching up the blog as I found out our little Iphone on the Mexican plan has 6 1/2 G's of data.  It seems that they are adding any data you haven't used to the next months plan so I'm good to go.  I've given up on my off line blog draft program Open Live Writer as Google has killed it's ability to post photos. Damn Google!  So I've had to familiarize myself with the online Blogger draft program and although I don't like it I can use it if I have enough data.  Won't be happening at home!  I have a news flash to share next week but right now I'm not ready.  Eric napped this morning and then this afternoon ......

....he went off to fuel up the truck and when he came back he hooked up in preparation for tomorrows journey to Santa Ana.  It didn't take long before he came in to tell me that something else was broken. After hooking up the truck he raised the legs on the trailer.  There was thumping coming from the motor and then it stopped.  He hit the down button and tried to lower the legs and they just stayed there.  Luckily we were hooked up and they were in the raised position.  The bolt on the cross shaft from one leg to the other leg had sheared off so the motor would turn but nothing would happen.  At this point it meant we couldn't unhook the trailer at our next stop.  Dandy!  Thinking ahead we thought we might be able to get a bolt in Ajo, Az. if we parked in the RV park across from the grocery/hardware store.  Then Eric started looking in his tray of small parts and he found a bolt that would fit but...no nut as it was metric.  Then he looked in his motorcycle parts and found a metric nut that would fit.  Now to get the old one out and the new one in as the space is incredibly small and is behind the generator.  He got the bolt in and the nut on and tightened but it was too long and would hit the motor as it turned and stall it.  Now to cut it off with a hacksaw blade holder that he could reach in with.  That done he needed to put glue on the end of the nut so it wouldn't come off.  He had replaced the motor that came with the trailer with a bigger one before we left but he could see that the bolt in the cross shaft would be the weak link in the future.  The future was today!

The current problem fixed it was time for a shower, beer, supper and bed.   Tomorrow is a new day.


3 comments:

  1. We had a bolt break too.. luckily the same, the trailer was already on the truck. So wilbur carries extra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric is very creative. Good for him, yet another crisis averted. We just got a phone call that the broken part on our RV in the engine area was able to be repaired. Phew, cheaper than building a new part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only post online if I add photos. So what I do sometimes to same GB's is to write out the post on on email and just do a copy past when on line and insert the photos here and there as needed. Still takes time but less than starting to write form scratch.

    ReplyDelete