Translate

Thursday, November 17, 2022

One week in in Mazatlan

 

It's been a busy week!  Boxes of stuff everywhere.  Outside stuff still inside and everything covered up when we arrived.

That said, the pumps had been replaced (one out on the patio and one on the roof) so the the water was running, The propane was running and the water heater was back in position.  The tinaco or water storage tank had been cleaned as well.  We pay our good friend Rafael to take the house systems apart and put them back together.  He also checks the house once a week and does any repairs that need doing.

At this point the boxes are unloaded, all the washing is caught up (all the sheets that covered the furniture) and anything that smelled musty like towels , groceries bought and next a general cleaning will happen.

Boxes waiting to be unpacked.
The motorcycle trailer is stored at the RV park and the motorcycle is at the house.  
I was on the bus to head to centro this morning at about 8:45 and it was almost full which is really unusual for that early in the morning.   Revolution Day is this week so maybe it turned into a holiday week.  Here I am just off the bus at the Mercado or main market in centro. 
One of the many stands surrounding the market. 
The Plaza Repulica by the church.  Need your shoes shined?

I started my shopping trip by getting bread.  However the close bakery Artisana was closed as there was construction out front so I had to head farther to my alternative bakery.  I bought one huge loaf of sourdough fruitbread and two multi grain that was still warm.  
Then it was back to the market for seafood.  Next time I'll take pictures of the seafood stall in the market but today my hands were full of bread.  
I always buy from the same lady and it helps because she does speak English.  I bought a kilo of shrimp, a kilo of sole, one and a half kilo's of dorado and about 1/2 a kilo of smoked marlin.  All fresh and on ice.  Cost 612 pesos or about $42 dollars Canadian.  Yesterday I bought over priced shrimp from the vegetable truck so next time I'll be more careful.  
By 10 am I was loaded and heading home on the bus.
Lots to see out the bus windows. 
I was home by about 10:30 and now it was time to cut up the fish and vacuum seal it all.  
Dorado first.  
Next the sole.
Now for the shrimp.  They need their heads and shells removed.  Those heads have a beak on them and they are sharp. Next time I'll wear gloves for that part.  Next the shells and I have a nifty tool that you slide under the back of the shell and it takes the vein and then your squeeze the handle and the shell pops off.  A quick squeeze of the tail and out pops the shrimp.  In the past I used to do it with my thumbnail but this gadget works. 
I rinse the fish and the shrimp in clean salted water and then dry it a bit before packing. 
Next up the bread.  The fruit one is so huge we split it down the center and then slice it before freezing.  Eric helps me with this part because it's a lot of slicing!

This is Eric in the kitchen slicing bread....doesn't he look happy!
Half done. 
Its been a busy week...well actually only six days as we arrived last Friday afternoon.  Tonight I'll head off to bingo with the Marilyn's and Sandi....wish me luck.  


4 comments:

  1. Wow, what a shopping trip. I like the look of those loaves of bread. What is the name of the secondary bakery you use? We will be staying in Olas Altas area so will be easy to walk to bakeries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a three-day weekend for many people mostly schools, banks and government offices. Also, this is Buen Fin so most stores should be open and selling at steep discounts. Beautiful house you have and what a great way to come home after such a long time having someone who takes care of everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rafael has become a good friend over the years 😊

      Delete
  3. I would have eaten half of that bread before it had been packed away, look's delicious

    ReplyDelete