Translate

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

We got to Sorianas for groceries!

Wednesday December 16, 2009





Well it's about 8:30 pm and Eric is doing the dishes. How great is that! We ventured out today and made it to Sorianas for groceries. Since Sam had taken Eric for a spin yesterday it really helped us to find our way. Mazatlan is not a small Mexican town and the roads are what I would call convoluted. Eric says they were designed by someone on crack but of course he says that about a lot of roads at home too! We did take a bit of a scenic route coming home but we were not lost because we could see where we should be, it's just that we just couldn't get there from where we were! The shopping at Sorianas was good because they had everything we needed and since I am somewhat familiar with Mexican supermarkets it was not too confusing. I did ask one "Gringo woman" if I needed a Sorianas card and she said "Yes, but they'll give you one at the check-out" and of course that wasn't the case. Luckily they were quick at the information desk and I didn't hold anyone up too much. We managed to get money at an ATM (cajero) and we must remember that word when we want money. The prices were good at Sorianas and the store was like a small Walmart because it sold everything and they also had a great bakery and so all is good in the food department. We have found that the Mexican people really like sweet bread, buns, pastry etc. so you have to be careful to buy what you want.



We received an email from Sandi and Adrian and they made it to Rincon. They had no trouble and Sandi said navigating was easy with the On The Road again papers that we gave them. They are in the Oasis trailer park and had stayed in the Flamingo the first night. They went down to Los de Marcos and said they could only find two RV parks and that the roads were in bad shape from a big rain two weeks ago. They will stay in Rincon until the end of January and then who knows. Apparently there are lots of people from the Okanagan in the Oasis and since they are from Summerland that makes it like old home week for them. They also said that they thought that due to the width of our rig we should make a dry run before we head down that way. We have decided to go to Teacipan on a day trip to check that out to see if that is a place we would like and then probably make a two day trip to Rincon to have a look. They are concerned there might not be room down that way after Christmas so we will keep that in mind. We would plan to go through San Blas on the way to Rincon and come back through Tepic if we thought the first way wouldn't work. If we find we don't feel comfortable with a move this trip there is always next year.



I finally got out on the beach this morning early at 7am and walked north up the beach and it was hard going as the sand was soft since the tide was pretty close in. I made it to the hotel that looks like a castle and then headed to the road for my return and it was a nice walk so I'll try to do it every day. Good for my caboose! Tomorrow I'll carry the camera as the light this morning was perfect and I should be able to get some good pictures. If so, I'll try posting them. We did not swim today as there was a lot of wind wave and that doesn't make it much fun but of course there is always tomorrow.





There will be a Christmas get together here in the Las Jaibas park and it is to be a pot luck. The Salvation Army will bring 23 orphans to sing for us. We have been asked to donate two gifts for two of the forty orphan children ages 3 to 14 that the Salvation Army looks after. I think the ladies we met in the Pemex parking lot in Los Mochis are organizing it (Sandi (&Frank) and Connie (& Manny) and we will join in. We will buy gifts and bring food and that of course means we have to go shopping so I guess we will take the bus to do that!



As I read over my posts I realize the blog is a bit long winded but for me this is a diary of our travels. I used to write all this in a book and now it is on the computer. I have never been a history or geography buff and so most of what I write is just my impressions of the small everyday stuff. I could make all this Walt Disneyish but in the end no matter where you go you find people just like us trying to make a living, feed their families and just get through life as best they can. We can idealize what they do but in end they all just want to have a happy life.

1 comment:

  1. There is a bakery called "Panama" on the way to town. It is on the right and is hard to miss the large sign as you drive towards it. They have excellent baked goods and a really nice restaurant as well.

    ReplyDelete