Translate

Friday, May 27, 2022

The elbow saga continues!

 I had my second surgery in Kitimat on May 16th to fix the broken ulna just below the elbow.  All the pins and wires placed in Mexico were removed as they were lifting and a plate and screws placed on the broken bone. Went well I guess but since I didn't talk to the surgeon who knows. Production line!  They had trouble getting me out of post surgery pain(morphine, fentynal and tramadol.)  They gave me some written instructions and a prescription and said bye bye and we made a one hour drive hime to Terrace,..sure not the care I got in Mexico but it cost the travel insurance plenty!.  T Lots of bleeding from the bandage that night at home but some compression stopped it. Saw my GP on Wednesday the 18th and he thought it was OK but that I should have a bandage change on the 23rd or 24th.  Turns out wound care at Public health does that...who knew because no one told me I could call them for help.  By Sunday the 22nd it was bleeding too much so I went to the ER.  They did the x-rays that the surgeon had called for and unwrapped the arm.  Soaking wet with blood!  Wounds can't heal if they're wet! New bandage and home. Public health called and wanted to see me the next day...now everyone was on high alert.  Changed again on the 24th and still bleeding a bit. Yesterday the 26th my GP changed it again and it had bled but was dry.  X-rays showed the hardware is in place and healing has started.  The big worry is getting infection around the metal plate.  Today a bit more bleeding. 

Am I tired of all this...you bet!  Next week light physio and more bandage changing😁

If I'd been informed about what to do from the start I wouldn't have been so worried.  My big fear was that the metal wouldn't hold and I'd be back to square one.  Lots of pain this time but slowly getting better.  Lucky for you that I'm not posting pictures of the unwrapped wound🤣

9 comments:

  1. What am ordeal! Hope the healing continues without more troubles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my , you poor girl. Soooo very sorry. Be careful, let Eric do all house work. Will send up prayers for a speedy recovery. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thoughts are with you girl. Fingers and toes crossed too. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nightmare Kathy. Let’s hope this journey comes to an end soon. Enough already! 😖

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been thru hell. I’m so hopeful as I’m sure you are, that this time it’s going to be fixed. I hope there’s not too much pain. So hard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy, ouch for all the pain and worry you have been having. I hope all that is soon behind you and the healing will be as perfect as it can be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're healing now and soon it will be better. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement...it really helps😊

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Kathy, this is so not right. I was impressed that you are able to get into surgery so quickly. However your post op care leaves much to be desired. Please make sure you have those pains meds. No need to wear yourself out because of the constant pain. Sending gentle hugs. Contessa

    ReplyDelete