Translate

Saturday, January 8, 2022

Connie's Birthday dinner!

 Last night was a celebration of our very good and long time friend Connie's 80th birthday which was on January 3rd.  Connie said it was depressing but if I have the good fortune to look like Connie at 80 I will be a very lucky woman.  Eric and I met Connie, Manny and their dog Ramona on our first trip to Mazatlan in 2009 and we have been good friends ever since.  They are wonderful generous people!

Linda and Connie in the back.  Connie is without a doubt the hardest person to photograph!

Connie is showing my Canada's 150th birthday napkins.

After extensive and chatty happy " hours" it was time for dinner.

The pot of chili is half empty!

Romaine, red onion, cucumber, avocado and mandarin orange salad. Almost gone!

The apron shows 1st place in the Las Jaibas 5th annual 2014 chili cook off.  Connie had the idea for the cook off and we started very small in 2010. By 2014 the cook off had grown to large event proportions and became unwieldy for all of us especially Frank who was at the helm.  All proceeds were going to the Hogar de los Ninos orphanage and following the last 2014 cook off they stopped operation and so did the cook off.   A very good cause and we raised a lot off money.  Good friends John and Jeri were very involved with the orphanage over the years and for a time so was Las Jaibas.  Anyway I have this very special momento. If you look back to the old blogs in February of the years 2010 to 2014 you will see what I mean.  A huge amount of fun for a good cause.

The very delicious chocolate birthday cake.  They really know how to make cakes here in Mexico!

So a good time was had by all...Happy Birthday Connie!


4 comments:

  1. Lovely celebration and you did manage to get a few good shots of Connie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a hard thing to do and never does her justice!

      Delete
  2. What a fun post, Kathy. I so well remember that 2014 chili cook off and your winning chili - your win was so well deserved. If I remember correctly Connie told me she is originally from West Virginia - I do not know her at all well and think I only met her a time or two. I think she saw our WV licenses plate. What good memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Connie and Manny live in Coos Bay, Oregon and like so many of us have a varied history of places they have lived and where they grew up. So glad you were there and that I was lucky enough to meet you and connect a face to someone who comments on my blog.

    ReplyDelete