Translate

Friday, November 1, 2019

Coos Bay, Oregon to Susanville, California




We were up early yesterday morning and after a very nice breakfast cooked and served by Connie and Manny we were on our way.  Connie is still not feeling great, Manny is fighting the cold and Eric has succumbed.  I have a bit of a sore throat but I'm hopeful I won't get it.  It was a brisk morning with temps still hovering around freezing.
One of the old dairy barns on highway 38 heading toward I5.
It was a frosty morning.

Look at the size of the log in the middle of that load.
All those little white spots are Oregon sheep.
A beautiful drive.
Heading down I 5.
In the distance the smoke from the California fires.
We stayed in Grants Pass back in 2008 when we traveled south in our truck.  I don't remember it being so big.
Up and over the Siskiyou's at 4310 feet.
Pretty.

Lots of smoke up ahead. We left I 5 and headed east to skirt around all the smoke and danger of fires.
Just before the turnoff we stopped for lunch.
Highway 89 to McLoud and Susanville where we stayed the night and then on south past Reno on Friday.
Most of today's drive was....trees!
Straight as an arrow for lots of the drive and twisty turny for other parts.  Still up around 3000 ft.

It opened up here for awhile and we could see cattle.
Hmmm....not much growing here.
Onto 36 and Susanville.  It got a bit convoluted as we got there as it's Halloween.  They had shut off the whole downtown and detoured the traffic around it which made it difficult to find the Super 8 Motel.  I had trouble with the GPS locating it and Eric had to make a U Turn.  Not a good thing, plus he isn't feeling well and we didn't need the added stress.  In the end we tucked in for the night.  The room was almost $100 US although it said $72 on the net.  What can you do?  I went over to the Walgreens and got Eric some cold meds as he really wasn't feeling well.  I bought some Sudafed and it's controlled here so I had to produce ID and buy it behind the counter.  Who knew!

After a few beers we walked down to the Timberland restaurant for dinner.  It's a chain restaurant and the food reflected that.  Less than mediocre and not one we'd ever go back to. 

In bed by 9pm as today was going to be an early start. 

2 comments:

  1. I don't know what could be worse than to have a cold. Not being able to breath affects your vision, gives you a headache, and at least for me, turns me into a real grouch. Get well soon. The scenery is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete