Translate

Monday, January 25, 2010

Warm days and little things.

Friday, January 22, 2010

Wednesday had us out in the truck looking for new boots for me.  We drove to Mega and walked to the mall and then drove to Walmart.  A big bust all round.  The driving was ugly and the shops are all full of fancy Mexican shoes which are not what we are looking for.  We also tried to find some fishing gear but that didn't happen either.  We got home exhausted and hot and decided a swim would be in order.

Thursday we were out again looking for boots for me.  This time we set out on the bus.  This was Eric's first time on the bus and the third for me and it's a whole lot easier than the truck for regular shopping.  We got off in the Gold Zone and we saw lots of leather shops but still didn't find any boots for me.  Again, home and back to the beach for a swim.

A pattern is developing.

Friday and shopping was out.  Laundry needed to be done so we just stayed home.  Eric talked to Sam and it turns out he had his son's fishing rod with him and offered to lend it to Eric.   Late afternoon I played a little cards with Pat and Connie (some sort of game called sequence on a board) and then Eric and I headed to the beach with the fishing rod.  The surf is up right now and swimming was not really an option.  Eric started fishing and it didn't take long and he had one.  What was it?  A guy fishing said it was edible, some sort of a small tuna.  Sweet!  So home to clean and cook the fish.  Eric had to show it off to Sam since it was his rod that caught it.  We still don't know what it is but we'll eat it and see what we think.  The word is that it is a Jack Cravelle, not supposed to be great eating but we'll see.

Eric's prize!


It's a really big one!


So, dinner is done and the fish was delicious.  Now there is something new for Eric to do and it's always nice to have fresh fish.  Plus, you can fish from the beach with no license. 

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Today I got up at 6:30 and hit the bus at 7:30 with Marilyn, Dennis and Connie.  We were off to El Faro the lighthouse out by the ferry dock and a good morning climb.  It's up about 500 feet and you want to go early before it gets too hot and also since we had a little rain last night it was a bit humid this morning.  Connie is into geocaching and she had something to find on the way up to the lighthouse.


Heading to El Farro for the climb.



Connie finds the geocache can.

The trip out on the Sabo Centro bus took about 30 minutes and we were let off a short distance from the lighthouse and then we headed out.   About half way up the climb Connie  had the mark for the spot to look for her clue and when I lifted the rock inside the hole, there it was!  Success!  There was a camoflage can filled with things from previous geocachers and Connie left something in the can as well and then we continued to climb. 


Marilyn, Connie and Kathy at the top of El Farro.

At the top there was  a 360 view and it was quite beautiful, except for the smoke from the power plant.  Ah Mexico!  We took a few pictures and then back down from the lighthouse and then up over Look out Hill,and on up the malecon to a cold drink before heading home on the bus.  It was a fairly strenuous and sweaty walk but it felt good. 

A truck full of agave ready to make tequilla.

I am now getting the hang of where things are here in Mazatlan and feel more comfortable on the bus than in the truck.  The Mexican bus drivers are quite something to see as they dodge and weave in and out of traffic missing (well mostly missing) everything by inches.  They have the ultimate right of way and everyone gives way to them! 

It rained after we got home and so the rest of the afternoon was quiet.  Tomorrow we must head off for groceries as there are the same chores here as at home. 

Sunday January 24, 2010

Groceries have been bought and Eric is now out for a Harley ride by himself.  Tomorrow we will go with Sam and Rita on the bikes and Dennis - Marilyn, Frank - Sandi, and Connie and Mannie will follow.  We will head out on the same ride that was a disaster on New Year's Day when Jean was hurt.   It is a beautiful beach ride and there is a nice palapa for lunch where we will all stop.  Since the others are not familiar with this area they decided they would like to go as a group.  Fine with us.   I will put a potato in my boot and cook it on the way.  Just kidding!

Next thing up is the chile cook off and that takes place on Wednesday.  I'm ready and since I always just wing it anyway we'll see what happens. 

This morning on my walk there were baby turtles all over the beach.  They were trying to get into the water but the surf is really heavy right now and they were having a hard time.  It was thrilling to hold one of these little creatures in my hand and help it to the water.  They are so strong and determined but if left on the sand too long the seagulls pick them off.  I put as many as I could into the water and when I left people were still helping them.  It is a large swimming beach but the turtles still come to lay their eggs there.  Of course I wasn't packing my camera with me.  Darn!   I will buy a small, good camera in the states and then I'll pack it with me next year and then I can take pictures where ever I am.  There is always something on the list to bring next year.


This afternoon we did Wii bowling again and I was a late joiner.  I was trying to get this blog up to date and so was not on time and again, this is a loose thing so no big deal.   When I was asked why I was late I said it was because I couldn't find my bowling shirt!  I wore my Canada t-shirt and it was lucky and I came in second and it was fun.  Pat is a great lady and she once again supplied appetizers which seems awfully nice to me. 

P.S.

Good news.  I sent an email and pictures to Anne asking how Jean is doing.  The reply was good.  He is out of intensive care and they have started physio for him so things are looking up.  She said the weather is bad and work sucks but other than that everything is fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment