Translate

Friday, March 13, 2015

Valentino’s for lunch.

Wednesday is our ladies lunch day and this week’s choice was Valentino’s.  It overlooks the water and is situated at the very south end of the Golden Zone at the north end of the malecon. File:Mazatlan valentinos.jpg

Valentino’s (picture off the net) is a well known night spot for those of you who like to party. 

We were here for lunch!

IMG_2846

We took an old Cerritos bus today which got us to Valentino’s as it turns left here and does not travel along the Malecon.  IMG_2847

We are on the opposite side of the street and must cross four busy lanes of traffic. IMG_2848

Made it and Valentino’s awaits. IMG_2849

Looking south along the malecon…..what a view. 

IMG_2850

Some of the ladies were already waiting for us. IMG_2851

Eddie and Marion chat.IMG_2852

We peruse the lunch menu and order drinks.  Eddie and Regina.  IMG_2854

Now you can see that some of us have drinks and some of us don’t.  The drinks trickled out over about a 20 minute period and we had to keep reminding them that drinks were missing.  IMG_2855

This is Angie.  I hope I look like this when I reach my 8th decade.  Hell….I don’t think I look that good now.  She is beautiful now….imagine what she looked like 50 years ago! IMG_2856

Jeannette gets her vino tinto….finally!  Jeez….were they pressing the grapes or something. IMG_2857

My chicken enchiladas with poblano sauce.  It was very good.

The food came out in relatively good time compared to the drinks which were very slow except…..Johanna’s order was wrong and some ladies had trouble getting cutlery.  IMG_2858

Marion’s delicious shrimp. IMG_2859

Regina joined us today and she had the shrimp as well. IMG_2860

Poblano chilaquiles shared by Ruth and Diane. IMG_2861

Jeannette’s lunch was horrible last week so this week she cut her losses and ordered a hamburger.  Good. IMG_2863

Enchiladas rancheros. IMG_2864

Across the street is MacDonald’s and it has an …Auto-Mac or ….drive through!

IMG_2865

Now for the bill.  Those of us who ordered mixed drinks were stunned at the price.  90 pesos for a pina colada….heck my lunch cost less than that.  Note to self…if I come back….don’t order a mixed drink.  Beer was 25 pesos. 

IMG_2866

So what was the consensus.  The setting overlooking the water is stunning, the food was very good, the mixed drink prices ridiculous and the service was not good.  However we did agree that we’d rather have crummy service than crummy food!  Yes, we were a large group but we were the only ones in there and it shouldn’t have been a problem. 

Lunch was done and we split up to do this and that.  I wanted to go to the store that Richard and Carol had recommended to buy frozen tuna.  It was located just next to MacDonald’s and I bought a flat, flash frozen l KG. package of tuna for 112 pesos.  Should be good.  Jeannette and I went back to wait for the bus with the other ladies and Diane decided to dash to the store for tuna as well.  Everyone boarded the bus and Sharen said she’d take my frozen fish home for me as Jeannette and I were going to stop along the way.  Jeannette was looking a small leather wallet and I needed to pick up my repaired diamond ring at El Delfin.  Jeannette didn’t find what she wanted but my ring was ready and it is beautiful once again.  A new small diamond to replace the one I lost, claws checked and the ring cleaned for $500 pesos.  A bargain.  Next year I’ll bring other jewelry for sizing and repairs. 

Jeannette and I hopped an old Cerritos bus home and it was a wild ride.  Connie would have bailed and got on another bus!  He was really flying and I don’t want to know how fast he was going.  Add to that the fact that the driver was so short he could hardly see over the steering wheel.  Ah Mexico!

5 comments:

  1. What a fun group of ladies - I have so enjoyed reading about the Lunch Bunch lunches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wondered what Valentino's was like to eat at. It looks interesting but it would not be my choice. About that tuna, was it whole or individual steaks? I just saw that place a few days ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tuna was packaged in a flat package with individual pieces cut as steaks. I cooked some gently sauteed some in butter last night but was not impressed with the flavor. The tuna was dark and not as mild and tender as what I had at the Water's Edge Bistro. Perhaps there are different grades available and I just didn't know what to buy. I've read that the whiter (such as albacore) is a better flavor. I don't know much about tuna other than I've enjoyed it fresh a few times on our ladies lunches.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the info Kathy. I think I will give it a pass.

      Delete
  3. Wish I could of been there. Kathy you know me too well, yes I would of jumped ship.

    ReplyDelete