Translate

Friday, March 1, 2013

A trip to the Doctor and lunch.

Thursday Feb. 28, 2013

I mentioned in an earlier blog that I was going to try a product called Immunocal to boost my immune system as I deal with the inflammation of Temporal Arteritis and Polymyalgia Rheumatica.  As Eric was down with an intestinal bug last week I had not been to the Doctor to order this product and yesterday was the day. 

We hopped on the bus and headed down to Centro to see Dr. Olalde for an 11am appointment. 

P1030984

Nice waves along the Malecon….picture out the bus window.

Today I asked Eric to come into Dr. Olalde’s office with me so he could listen but really I wanted him to talk to Dr. Olalde about his ongoing problems with stomach and intestinal problems.  I said Eric had used Treda last week when he was sick which contains Neomiacina and Caopectate and although it helped it still took 5 days or more for recovery.  Dr. Olalde asked him a few questions and did an abdominal examination and said it was likely he was dealing with salmonella that was staying latent in his digestive tract or gall bladder and was recurring on a regular basis as the bacteria built up.  He suggested a one week course of antibiotics and we agreed that this was a good idea.  Dr. Olalde also said that we should take an ant parasitic “after” we left Mexico to clean out any bugs we were harboring .  He said that using it while we are in Mexico was not of much use as we get reinfected while we are here.  We always routinely wormed our farm animals so it makes sense to do the same for us!  He suggested a product called Daxon so we will buy that I take it home with us.  So….lots of good sensible information and hopefully it helps….can’t hurt!

The Immunocal will be delivered to the park and after one week of large doses I will repeat my blood tests and see what they show.  Dr. Olalde thinks I will feel and see a big difference.  As this is approved in Canada (where it is being shipped from) and is not a drug I am hopeful it will help.  Right now all is well. 

After our Doctor’s visit we walked a few short blocks to Centro and the Mercado for lunch.

P1030985

Streets by Dr. Olalde’s office.

P1030987

Walking up to the Church and the Market.

When we walked through the market I did buy a few cheap knock off Carnival T-shirts and then Eric and I went upstairs for lunch.  Hal and Helene in the park had mentioned that could find really good Chili Relleno’s there and that is a favorite with us.  As luck would have it I couldn’t remember the name of the restaurant where they said to go so we just had to wing it!  No gringo’s up there as it is a bit rustic but it doesn’t bother us so we just picked a restaurant and ate.  Chile Relleno in caldo (stewy broth) frijoles, arroz and ensalada, tortillas and a Coke each for 84 peso’s and with a tip about $8 for lunch.  Good but could have been hotter.  I talked to Hal later and the restaurant we were looking for was Carolina’s…….next time. 

After lunch I had a quick look through the fabric store behind the market while Eric waited with the group of men standing just outside the door.  They of course were waiting for their wives too.  I was looking for some plain,white, cheap bridal netting that I like to use to cover my row of carrots at home.  Sounds silly but it works to keep off the carrot fly and then I don’t have little black worms in my carrots.  I couldn’t find anything that wasn’t  pink, blue, yellow or covered in sparkles and satin…but this is Mexico!   I’ll look again later!

Onward home on the usually slow, big green bus.  Today we had “Juan Andretti” driving so we were at top speed, grinding gears and just missing every car that got in our way.  A wild ride home but we did make it. 

Last night I ventured out to Bingo and it was fun as usual.  A good burger, a couple of beers and a three games of Bingo.  I didn’t win this time and we were all home by 9pm.  A big night on the town!

No comments:

Post a Comment