Translate

Sunday, March 13, 2011

A little shopping to be done before I head home and a last ride to El Tigre’s

Sunday March 13, 2011

Friday was a shopping day for the ladies.  Betty, Connie, Sharen and I hopped on the bus and rode to the Golden Zone to pick up things that were on our lists.  Well, I actually didn’t have anything on my list so no big deal for me.  I think Sharen had the biggest list so she had the fullest bags coming back.  We wandered through the shops and there sure aren’t many tourists around.  I picked up a nice on sale top before we sat down to eat at Poncho’s restaurant  on the beach.  I had a really nice shrimp salad and….okay I did have a Pina Colada too.  It was Poncho’s parking lot where the shootings took place a couple of weeks ago when the cruise ship was in town (drug wars.)  Scared the tourists, what a surprise!  Terrific promotion for Mazatlan, not.  On the way out of the restaurant  I noticed a jewelry store with nice silver.  Of course silver is everywhere here but I did find a different pair of earrings.  I’ve decided to try wearing silver in my ears in the winter because they aren’t of any interest to thieves. 

P1010248

The pair on top were bought at the tent market on Saturday with Rita and the heads today.

Yesterday, Saturday Rita and I took the bus down to the tents at the beginning of the Golden Zone for another shopping trip.   I went through them last year and was really impressed with the quality and variety of what they were selling.  Each state of Mexico has different things that they are known for and much of it is sold at this market. 

So, I had no list but bought a nice orange beaded top (150 pesos – about $13) a panama hat (200 pesos -$17.50) silver earrings (60 pesos - $5) and a molcajetes pot for (300 pesos $26)  which I had hoped to find.  I’ve looked at how to season it on the net and it may take the rest of my life to get it right!  Oh well, I can make a planter out of it if it doesn’t work out. 

P1010246

Oh, there were also Mexicans baking bread and buns right in the tent market so, I bought a bread too.  Sweet, but delicious.

Today we took a ride with Sam and Rita out to El Tigre’s on the beach.  We were out there a couple of other times this winter  but it is always a really nice ride.  Today Sam suggested we try riding through town along the Malecon to head out of town and then head east to the highway to head south so we would  miss the ongoing construction that has been a real pain on every ride.  We weren’t sure what we would find since it is Sunday but it turned out to be a good plan.  Light traffic and we were past the construction when we hit the highway.  Bueno! 

P1010250

 

P1010252

 

P1010253

 

P1010254

The above shots are of the Malecon heading out of town.

P1010255

On the road up to the highway out of town.

A quick ride to Villa Union and then west to the beach and El Tigre’s. 

P1010258

El Walamo just out of Villa Union.

P1010259

Girls on bicycles in El Walamo.

P1010260

Roadside Pollo stand at the end of El Walamo.

The only snag on the ride was when we hit a large herd of cows trotting along the highway.  When I pulled out my camera (with my gloves on) the camera was on the wrong setting and I didn’t get a good picture.  As well my cow herding skills didn’t help today as they just ignored all the traffic and moved along in cow mode!  Which was basically ( to hell with you we’ll do what we want!)  Funny!

When we arrived at the restaurant it was quite busy since it was a Sunday.  Eric and I ordered a fish for the grill (1 kilo) and Sam and Rita ordered fish fillets.  It didn’t take long for the meal to show up and it was delicious.  Our fish was really good.  170 pesos for the meal and four half sized beers and with a tip less than $20….a bargain. 

P1010273

Fish being prepared and cooked.  That’s the ocean in the background. 

While we were waiting I spotted a Mexican with a Mazatlan bike week shirt and wondered where he got it.  Sam chatted to him and he told him that since he was an organizer he got one but they weren’t on sale till bike week at the end of April.  Too bad.  However, he did say he’d check and see what he could find out.  Maybe we’ll get lucky and get one. 

P1010267 

These are some pictures of the Mexicans bikes that were parked out front.  Nice eh!

P1010269

P1010271

P1010272

P1010274

 

A good ride home and a light dinner before bed.

P1010275

P1010277

Back along the Malecon.

No comments:

Post a Comment