Translate

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Sitting in Ajo, Arizona in a screaming “WIND”

Nov.20, 2010

We left Buckskin State Park on Wednesday morning and had a warm easy trip to Ajo.  We took the I10 East towards Phoenix and then south on 85 at Buckeye to Gila Bend and then on to Ajo.  The freeway was quiet, weather hot and all was well.  The highway has been redone from Buckeye to Gila Bend and it is really nice.  We arrived at the Ajo Heights RV Park where we have stayed a couple of times before.  Although it is a little noisier here (as opposed to Shadow Ridge) as it is close to the highway it has great Wifi and is across the street from the grocery store.  The park is very tastefully done with lots of gravel, rock and cactus so the dust isn’t too bad.  It was developed by a Canadian who runs it from October to May and then he shuts down and travels for the summer.  Thursday evening was lovely and then the “wind” piped up yesterday afternoon.  It didn’t matter too much to me as I was stuck in the rig figuring out the Mexican Vehicle Insurance.  We did get if from an agency one time but I am always concerned that they may get a number wrong and this way I can check it.  Also, I like to get fixed deductibles and I don’t go cheap on the coverage as we do get a percentage back from ICBC when we get home.  After a morning of checking rates I decided to stay with the Mexican Insurance Store and the Ace Seguros Platinum package that we bought last year.  I did have some concern as to whether the the Harley should be listed as a towed vehicle as the pop-up stated that this was the case.  I did not do it that way last year as that pop-up did not occur and it would seem that I was wrong.  I called the 1-800 number and spoke to Lindell Gray who runs the agency and he was very helpful.  He said I needed to list the motorcycle on the tow vehicle policy for minimum value so that in the case of an accident and it flew out of the back of the trailer it would be covered for liability.  I then bought it’s own policy for when it is not in the trailer and being ridden.  Double indemnity but I have it right now.  Last year when we got a quote from an agency in Yuma the woman who helped us told us that the Harley only had to be listed on the tow vehicle policy.  Totally wrong! We would have been in big trouble if we had an accident while riding so it is a good thing I have done this myself.  If you don’t follow the rules they can void your insurance.  Not nice, especially considering the motorcycle accident that Jean from Edmonton had last year.  No one needs any surprises.  Every year I learn a little more and I guess by the time I get it all right I’ll be too old to travel!

On top of the policy issues I had a few technical issues as well.  We apparently had not brought the cord that connects the printer to the laptop as we were using the one from the printer at home.  Whoops!  Eric had to buy one from Radio Shack here and it cost $27!  Oh well, at least we have one.  Then the printer wouldn’t print the black part of the documents.  I haven’t used it since last year and the black ink had dried up!  Great.  I asked it to clean the print heads four times with no luck so I had to put in a new ink tank.  This is now getting expensive!  These kinds of glitches drive Eric nuts so he had to go sit outside while I soldiered on.  Finally success and I got it done.  Meanwhile I had to close the door because we have a loud obnoxious American (sorry American friends!) across the way that never shuts up, especially at happy hour.  He obviously thinks the whole world is interested in what he has to say.  Not true!  No one else even gets a word in edgewise.

Well this draft is a bit long winded (hence the Chatty Kathy nickname!) but all these issues are important. 

We got a tip from Croft – http://croftsmexico.blogspot.com regarding the need for a zip code when using a credit card at some US gas stations.  His credit card company told him to use the numbers in his postal code and then add two zeros and he says it works.  We will try it. 

I have received an email from home telling me that one of my garden buddies Hannah has been diagnosed with ALS which is really bad news.  She has been unwell for some time but has only now found out what is wrong.  I am so sorry.  Her husband David, has health issues as well and they will have a hard road ahead.  The garden club will provide as much support as they are able and that is the good thing about our small close knit group.  Hannah is the founding member (I think) of the club with a wealth of plant knowledge.  She was the one who invited me to join the club and I am forever great full Hannah you are in my thoughts. 

So here we sit until Monday morning when we will make our way into Mexico.  First night Edgar & Anna’s in Santa Ana. 

Eric did unload Blue yesterday and got a ride in while I was working on paperwork but the wind is screaming so hard right now she will have to stay parked.  Eric talked to a guy across the way who has a Honda Gold Wing and he told him that they had tried a Harley but couldn’t give up the comfort and quiet of the Honda.  I suggested to Eric that we might want to try one but I’m pretty sure that will never happen.  Once a Harley guy always a Harley guy even if you have to suffer! It’s not about comfort, it’s about the way you look!

No comments:

Post a Comment