Translate

Friday, November 5, 2010

On The Road Again (Boise, Idaho)

Hello all:
We left Kelowna on Wednesday morning under cool but sunny skies.  Had a short but good visit with some of the family.  I'll catch up with the missed ones in the spring on our way home.  Our trip through Washington was nice and relaxing as the weather was good and the roads were quiet.  We stopped at Dry Falls for lunch and it is quite a sight. .  If you Google it you will get all the history of the area.  Very impressive.  I took a few pictures but haven't had time to load them to the laptop yet.  I have a new camera this year Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS7 which has huge zoom, pixels, HD, GPS etc. etc.  It will probably take me all winter to learn how to use it!  My only gripe is that there is no viewfinder which I find annoying.  This seems to be the way all the small cameras have gone and I don't find it as easy as using a viewfinder.  Oh well!  I also have a new Toshiba laptop that I bought with my retirement gift.  Yes, I have finally pulled the pin!  No more work for me, well, at least not at the office.  I bought a 15inch Toshiba that is much lighter than the old one and it will work well for navigation.  It has an I3 Intel processor and I would rather have had and I5 but the reason that didn't happen is a long boring story so I won't share it.  It will be fine I'm sure.

So, we overnighted in the Walmart parking lot in Othello, Washington per usual and got in around 3:30pm.  It was a warm day 18C so we only had to use the propane heater when it got dark.  This is the first trip south with the GloWarm heater and it makes all the difference.  It is not nice to be cold!

Left Othello at around 8am and hit the road with sun in our eyes and patchy  fog in the air.  Hard to see.  When we went through Mesa, Washington we missed the turn onto the freeway as it is poorly marked and we couldn't see for the sun.  Turned around down the road with minor yelling from Eric and continued on.  No problems with the Tri Cities this time and also no problems getting fuel along the way.  Last year I made notes of all the good fuel stops as we travelled south and it has really helped.  We got into the Boise/Meridian RV park around 4:30 our time and had no trouble getting to it this time.  Last year they had turned the road in front of it into a one way and we ended up down a dead end road.  Much screaming and yelling from Eric.  This has been two  long days of travel for us (8 hours) and we are both bagged.  This time I was forceful at the desk checking in and told them I didn't want to be by the garbage can and didn't want any extra parked vehicles in front of us so we wouldn't be able to get out.  The old woman on the desk scowled at me but the guy helping me gave us a nice spot.  No more Mrs. Niceguy!  We will leave tomorrow morning (Saturday) and head for Ely, Nevada as it looks like it will get rain/snow by Monday morning and we don't want to get caught in that.  It seems it has been unseasonably warm but looks like the temperatures are going to normal.  It is usually below freezing at night in Ely at this time of year.  Ely is at 7000 feet.  Well no news is good news I guess so onward we go.  We'll head for Laughlin after Ely as we have a coupon that gives us a week for $89 with full hook-up so we'll rest there before we decide where to head next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment