Translate

Monday, September 4, 2023

A trip to Phipps!

One thing I really wanted to see in Pittsburgh was the Phipps Conservatory and Botanical gardens.  The current event there right now is the Billy Porter costume exhibit.  Added on to that are costumes created by local design students that are all plant based.  Slotted in here and there are resident Dale Chihuly blown glass art objects.  Everything is in the multi winged Victorian glass conservatory and it was stunning!  Krista, Joy and I spent two hours touring it.  There are 85 pictures plus in this blog.  I will comment on a few pictures but most are self explanatory. 






This is from Wikipedia, have a look if you like.


The exhibits by Billy Porter's love of fashion.  Again, check Wikipedia for his bio.



Years ago Eric and I visited the Phoenix Desert Botanical gardens where Dale Chihuly's exhibit was on display.  If you ever get the opportunity to view his work please do, as you won't be disappointed!


          Heading off on a 40 minute drive into the city.   

I just love the skyline.

Downtown Pittsburgh.

University of Pittsburgh.  Every thing here is so old and the architecture is so beautiful.

Phipps.

I'm ready!

Billy Porter.

Billy Porter and one of his costumes.

How beautiful is that!


Dale Chihuly glass work.


You keep left to that you'll tour the whole exhibit.

Krista.

I love the managed English garden look.



😊❤

A hanging Chihuly glass ball greets us.

The cacti are stunning...don't touch or you'll be sorry!


There is a small vegetable garden.

The Japanese bonsai exhibit.


Here we're in an outside exhibit.






Many non indigenous plants threaten the Hawaiian Islands.

More glass.

I just love the colors.

The butterfly and bee garden.  I grow many of the same plants at home as Pittsburgh is roughly the same zone as Terrace.

A metal snail that I'd like in my garden.  I like real art objects that are not cute!

Krista and Joy.


These are the local plant based costumes.




More Chihuly.











Krista vamps a living plant wall!





A monkey puzzle tree.  When I was a girl my Granny who was a fantastic gardener had one of these in the Vancouver area.  She would have loved Phipps.








The Orchid exhibit.  

Look at the little glass figures.










Here we come to the end.  We were all so impressed and glad we came.


Joy was better at this than me😆
  
    Krista's selfie of us!
Homeward bound heading out of town.



Medical research and educational facilities everywhere. 






Beautiful green areas everywhere.  There has been above average precipitation here this year.


Coming up the road home.


2 comments:

  1. Wow, that was a real tour! I've never heard of the bat faced cuphea. Some of your titled pics gave me some research to do. It looks like Pittsburg is a fun place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is an interesting and so very beautiful. Phipps was a real treat for me. Their zone is similar to Terrace so many of their plants grow here.

      Delete