Translate

Saturday, February 27, 2021

My garden in May.

 Anyone who knows me well is aware that I spend most of my summer on my knees praying to " the God of weeds" to be kind.  May is a time for lush fresh growth and as we were home at the end of March I had a head start on the weeds. 

First come the crocus. 

The Mexican squash seeds are coming up. 
We love the little calabacitas or squash that they grow in Mexico.  I found some seeds at Home Depot in Mazatlan so I decided to give them a try. 


I spotted this young bear out the window and then we decided that it's long legs and brownish color identified it as a young grizzly.  We rarely see one as there are mostly black bears here. 


I'm not fond of cute garden ornaments but I do like metal birds among the low growing natural vegetation.  I'd just given these birds a quick spray paint and they turned out just like new. 

Okay...these guys do have a bit of a smile but they do look real.  I repainted the one on the left with my 40 year old oil paints and then I did the one on the right.  Much better. 
The hostas, ligularia etc. by the dry stream bed. 

Some areas of the garden have all wild vegetation that I just weed. 
The dry stream bed has drainage pipes under it that terminate farther away.  Without them the garden flooded in the spring.  However it is a nightmare to keep the rocks tidy with all the deciduous trees in the garden. 

The is my round hosta garden with at least 20 different varieties worked into a colorful patchwork.  The rhodo in the back is about 40 years old and started as a very small plant.  It's the same color as one my grandmother had planted in front of her house. 
Granny's rhodo behind me and our two girls...Krista and Erika.  Probably May/June of 1970.


It was a huge plant. 

Pretty!

Me...I'm usually taking the photos and not in them. 

April was very dry but by late May there was enough rain that I didn't have to water.  





2 comments:

  1. Beautiful garden! You're very ambitious. Here in northern Mexico it gets to hot in the summer, 38C to 42C on average. I always think about it and have envelopes of seeds on hand :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It rarely gets above 30c in Terrace and as we are 20km out of town and in the Lee of the mountains warm cops like tomatoes and corn are hit and miss. Last summer it rained so much I didn't even have to water!

    ReplyDelete