Translate

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Back in Kelowna for Medical Check-up

Tuesday, Dec. 10, 2012

I left Yuma, AZ bright and early on Saturday morning.  A short flight to Phoenix with a two hour lay over and then on to Seattle and another 3 hour lay over.  A crappy flight from Phoenix to Seattle due to the rude antics of a couple of middle aged business men whose behavior and manners were worse than a couple of six yearolds.  Disturbed the guy in front of them so much with their giggling and hooting and drinking at 12 noon I thought there was going to be a fist fight.  Would have been if Eric was with me!  Flight from Seattle to Kelowna got in at 5:30 pm and brother in law Ian was there with his grand daughter Elizabeth to pick me up.  I traveled with a back pack so I didn't have to wait for luggage anywhere along the way.  Easy.  The weather when I arrived in Kelowna was good so no problems there.  Home to Ian and Linda's for dinner and bed.  Sunday was a quiet day as I was quite tired and had a little jet lag after the 12 hour day before.  It snowed a couple of inches over night so a good thing I flew in a day early.

Monday I was off to Westbank in Kelowna for my blood tests and I also stopped in at the rhuematologist's office to see if I could get a referral for a bone density scan.  I've never had one so it would seem a good idea to know what condition my bones are in at the beginning of this treatment with prednisone.  Prednisone is noted for eating your bones and I am presently on a large daily dose for my temporal arteritis.  Luckily the clinic in downtown Kelowna accommodated me with an appointment on Wednesday morning.  I have had great difficulty taking the prescribed calcium supplement Fosavance because of side effects so I'll have to discuss that with Dr. Shojania as well.  I have read just about anything I can find on my condition, prednisone and also calcium so I am exploring other options for the calcium as well.  I am exercising, lifting weights, eating right taking vitamins and.....drinking beer for my mental health!

Tomorrow I will see Dr. Shojania and discuss my test results (wish me luck and cross your fingers) and hopefully he will prescribe enough meds till April and map out a loose treatment plan that I can follow in Mexico.  I have said a few times that I will feel safer there close to the Sharp Hospital and also I will see a GP (Dr. Olalde) as well.  I can have monthly blood tests and see a rheumatologist there as well if needed.  As my travel medical will not cover anything to do with this condition I am on my own with the costs.  However they are affordable in Mexico and not so much in the USA.  I will also be close to the Mazatlan airport and can fly back to Kelowna if the need arises.  So that is where things stand right now.   I feel pretty good and am without pain at this point.  A few shakes from the prednisone and also a big fat face which I am trying to keep my sense of humor about!   Hopefully Eric and I will be on our way to Mexico by Sunday the 16th.

No comments:

Post a Comment