Translate

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Dinner at Topolo’s with Ian/Linda/Bazil and Brenda

Tuesday was a busy day for me.  I started the day with my 45 minute walk at 6:45 am,  drove to WalMart for groceries after breakfast, had our water jug filled at our water depot, came home to play cards in the afternoon after lunch and then Eric and I went out for dinner.  That’s a lot as I’m usually a one event a day gal!  Also, I’ve not been feeling up to snuff…sort of like I might get a cold but not really getting one. 

This evening Eric and I went downtown in a pulmonia with Ian and Bazil to Topolo.  We were meeting Linda and Brenda at the restaurant as they had been off shopping at Liverpool beforehand. 

It’s been unusually cool lately and even though I had a light jacket on ….I was cold.  The pulmonia was an older one that wasn’t in the best of shape.  The gears were grinding, the idle was too low so he kept reving the engine, the steering was shot and the exhaust was overpowering.  As there is so much construction on the malecon we drove all over “Hell’s half acre” to get downtown.  Our driver was personable and kept saying “ Don’t worry, be happy” and that made up for some of it…but not all of it!

IMG_8850

The pictures aren’t very good as the light was too low and when I used the flash we looked like deer caught in the headlights!  I have been to Topolo before but no one else had.  They were suitably impressed by the ambiance!  Topolo is one of the top rated restaurants in Mazatlan and it was on our visitors list as a dinner destination.

IMG_8851

The interior of the restaurant is an open air courtyard full of trees and vegetation and with all the lights is just lovely.  As it is cold I was also a bit cold here as well.  

IMG_8852

Here the waiter is making us fresh salsa at the table. 

So…what did we order.    Linda, Eric and I ordered the tuna which was coated in black sesame seeds and wasabi.  Ian had a Mazatlan plate, Bazil had salmon and I think Brenda had chicken.  What did we think of the meals? …well Ian said his was one of the best meals he’d eaten anywhere (he really enjoyed the chili relleno), Linda said her’s was great as did Brenda and Bazil and they said it was the best meal they’d eaten in Mazatlan.    Both Eric and I noted that the food was cold.  Tuna cold, veggies cool and rice slightly warm.  For me that spoils a meal no matter how good it tastes.  What does it take to have the plates hot before you plate the food?  I do this for everynight dinners since hot food should be…hot. 

Following the dinner we all ordered dessert and it was scrumptios…cheese cake, chocolote mousse cake and key lime pie.  It sort of made up for the cold meal.  Eric says that I am such a good cook that he doesn’t even like to eat out…..thanks honey! 

An enjoyable evening with family and friends and then home to bed.  Eric and I caught the bus home behind the mercado.  The rest of the crew rode home in the same pulmonia that we’d come down in.  The Mexican driver had received 300 pesos for the 150 peso ride downtown and he wasn’t going to let a return trip get away from him. He was standing outside the door waiting when we came out after dinner.   I think they would have preferred a warm taxi ride home but…what can you do?

I heard from Linda the next day that Bazil said “ Next time someone else can ride in the front seat of the pulmonia!”  Too funny. 

All in all a nice evening out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment