Translate

Thursday, January 29, 2015

The Chili is cooking!

It is a big job to make enough chili to serve at the Chili cook-off.  I had amassed my canned goods ahead of time and Tuesday morning we were off to Soriana’s for the fresh produce that I use. 

IMG_2318

First a soak in the Mexican iodine wash.  I do this for all of our vegetables as I know that my hands, along with a lot of other hands have touched them.  I always thoroughly wash my veggies at home as well.

Wednesday morning was chopping day.  Peppers, onions, celery, garlic etc.  chopped and put in bags for the next day.  Spices were mixed up in a container and readied as well.

Today (Thursday) it was time to put it together.  It is a big job to make two huge batches in an RV and then cool it later in the day so that it can be reheated on Saturday.  Not whining….just explaining the process.

Bacon was fried, peppers cooked in a pan on the barbecue, onions/garlic sautéed and ground meat lightly cooked.  Cans of beans opened and drained, canned tomatoes and sauce opened and then ….put it all together.  Only took about 3 hours!  Now it will cook for the rest of the day and be checked for seasoning.  I cool it for a couple of days as it tastes much better (in my mind) reheated.

IMG_2319 IMG_2320  

Tomorrow is a day of rest and then the fun begins on Saturday afternoon. 

Stay posted!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your chili this year. Nothing wrong with winning 2 years in a row.

    ReplyDelete