Translate

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Tom Tom Woes!

Saturday December 10, 2011

Before we left home we bought a Tom Tom 550 XXL to use for trip navigation on Big Red.  In earlier blogs I mentioned that she (Marjorie) had been working out quite well.  Eric tried it on the bike when he and Sam rode to El Quelite and it seemed accurate.  Now for the bad part.  We received an email that there were map updates ready to download and Eric decided to do that since we have the internet here.  It was a long arduous process taking a few hours and when it was finished the whole thing was a disaster!!!  The downloaded maps have killed the Tom Tom and it will no longer work.  Eric has spent hours on the net finding fixes and trying them but to this point it is not working properly anymore.  A huge frustration and especially annoying because everything was fine before the downloads.  On the net many people have experienced the same issues so we know that it is Tom Tom’s fault.  The only good thing in all of this is that “I” didn’t do the downloads so it isn’t my fault!! At this point it looks like the Tom Tom is dead in the water unless we get some information from Tom Tom tech support that will help us out.  What a mess!!  We sent them an email to their tech support and received an automated response with a trouble ticket number but that is it!!  No other reply.  Reading on line this is common as well.

Along with these woes my Microsoft Map point 2009 software stopped working.  We suspect that the Tom Tom map update problems caused this as well as it was working fine the day before the download from Tom Tom.   Luckily we still had the disk (thanks to Don McRobb) and we reinstalled it.  Still didn’t work but in the end Windows managed to correct the problem in compatibility mode.   Whew!  I use this software with a plug in GPS for navigating and would be lost without it.  Especially now that “Marjorie” is dead. 

Today I along with Sandi and Marilyn went to Gaby’s the beauty shop in the Gold Zone where we all get prettied up!  Sandi and Marilyn had there toes and fingers done and I got my hair bucked off!  It drives me nuts when it gets a bit long because it turns into a big bush.  Rosie the owner and a hairdresser fixed that problem for me and the cost was 80 pesos ( about $6.00) and with a tip $8.00….what a bargain.  A pedicure 130 pesos/ manicure 130 pesos and with a tip less that $30 for both while at home a pedicure costs $60.  I love Mexico!  They also offer one hour massages where two of the ladies massage at the same time.  I think I may just book myself one but unlike our buddy Croft I won’t post a picture on the blog so everyone can harass me! 

We had a nice lunch together after the beautifying and it was a lovely day for a meal on the beach.  Good food, good company and a good day.  All is well. 

1 comment:

  1. Come on Kathy..... One little photo would never hurt. I hope Tom Tom is back up and working.

    Good news - I can comment on your Blog again. Don't know what happened.

    ReplyDelete